Saturday 14 March 2015

DIY Chalkboard

Hello everyone…
Do anyone of you have any childhood memories attached with blackboard in the school days. I have so many memories that if I’ll share here you all will get bored. Always had a wish to have a small black board at home that can be used as notice board or to note down things. 

Yes you all are guessing it right. I have made a small chalk board and not only that, have some more items with chalk board paint on it. Here I am going to share how you can make your own chalk board painted items. 

It's a very easy DIY project. Mainly two items are required to make a chalk board painted item acrylic colour and white Portland cement. Some white Portland cement was left with me after making the mosaic bottle and coasters. How to make mosaic art you can find the tutorial here. I did the chalk board paint on a hit and trial basis first on a bottle and the result was good, then I followed the same steps for making a notice board. Now this board is adorning a corner wall of my kitchen. Here is the tutorial for you all. 



Items required
1- A base that you want to paint 
2- Fevicryl Acrylic Paint (Any colour you want)
3- White Portland Cement
4- Paint Brush
5- Sand Paper
6- Oil (I used mustard oil)
7- Cotton
8- Water
9- A spoon for measurement
10- A pot to make the mixture



Step-1
Mix equal quantity of cement, acrylic colour and few drops of water.




Step-2
Apply first coat of the paint. It will take 5 to 10 minutes to dry. 




Step-3
Apply the second coat. Let it dry completely. It will take more time to dry in comparison to the first coat. Try to apply the colour as smoothly as possible.


Step-4
Once it dries completely and you feel that it is not smooth, then rub it with fine sand paper.



Step-5
Then rub the whole surface with mustard oil and cotton. And then it's ready.



Some more items at my place with chalk board paint. A melamine plate converted into a serving plate by applying red chalk board paint. 



My first try was on a bottle. Though Chalk board paint on bottle is a borrowed idea. Just love the outcome. Happy me :) ..


I found that the smoother the surface on which we are going to apply the paint the better the outcome is. So try it and I am looking for you feed backs.





2 comments:

  1. Wow!! That's a fantastic DIY I have ever seen. Lovely images too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Disha... It's a big complement from a DIY queen like you :). I am glad that you liked the images. Now I am just learning how to take good pictures, though never fully satisfied with the pictures I took :( .

      Delete